Dating is already complicated. You have to pick a restaurant, an outfit, and you have to plan what do if you don’t like your date. And if you have hearing loss, chances are you are planning other things too. Making sure the restaurant has enough lighting. How you’re going to talk about your hearing loss with a new person. What to do if the person speaks softly or covers his or her mouth when talking.
Thus, with all that in mind, here are five helpful dating tips to keep in mind!
- Plan your location carefully! Take the time to scope out potential spots ahead of time with lighting, background noise and overall ambience as main considerations. And, even if it’s a first date, don’t be afraid to recommend something besides a restaurant or to take control of choosing the location.
- Make up a fun, creative date. With gorgeous summer weather, there are an abundance of outside summer date ideas. Have a picnic in the park or go see a baseball game. If you live somewhere where the weather is too hot, grab your favorite films and snacks and have a movie marathon!
- Early arrival at a restaurant means better choices. When you get to the location early, you have a better chance at choosing a spot in the restaurant that you know you’ll enjoy.
- Do I have to tell them I have hearing loss? It’s up to you! While hearing loss is nothing to be ashamed, we totally understand that it’s a personal decision. Often times though, being upfront about it from the start leads to a better date because your partner knows how he or she can best help you keep the conversation flowing and not miss out on any of the fun!
- Communicate between date nights! We live in a digital age where smartphones and tablets are all the rage. Take advantage of technology by texting, emailing, or using things like Skype or FaceTime to chat when you’re not physically with each other. This keeps your relationship growing and offers you a way to communicate easier!
Got some tips to share? Simply follow us on Facebook and share!